6 ripe bananas - mashed
1 cup (240 g) butter - at room temp
1 cup (200g) sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1 dark chocolate
3 cups (375 g) gluten-free self-raising flour - (I used Free From Gluten Free Self Raising Flour)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp of bi-carb soda
1/2 cup (122 g) almond milk ( or you could use regular milk. Almond milk adds extra flavour).
1. Preheat oven to a moderate temperature 180ºC.
2. Cream butter, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla together.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
4. Mash bananas into the creamed mixture.
5. Fold in flour and soda, add chopped chocolate, then stir in milk.
6. Line a baking tray with baking paper. (I line the base and cut off the extra paper and grease the sides with butter).
7. Spoon onto the baking tray and bake at 180ºC (moderate oven) for 45 mins or until cooked.
8. Test with a skewer and if it comes out clean, then it is ready.
9. Cool in the tray for a few minutes before turning out onto a cake cooler.
10. Cut in half and put in the middle thick orange custard.
11. Orange custard ( cook custard with a smaller amount of milk than usual, add grated orange skin and orange essence).
12. Cover with orange icing ( icing with orange essence and orange food colouring)
13. Let it cool in the fridge for a few hours.