6 Eggs (65g each)
220g ( 1 cup) Caster sugar
220g (1 1/2 cup) Cornflour, sifted twice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 jar (200g) blackcurrant jam
8 tsp clear jelly powder
For buttercream frosting:
115 g unsalted butter
180 g powdered sugar
1tbsp heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Grease with butter or cooking spray, 20cm cake baking tray; line base with baking paper.
3. Beat eggs with 2 tsp vanilla extract at medium-high speed for about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
4. Gradually add sugar, beat until sugar is dissolved, between additions use medium speed.
5. Sieve in the cornflour little by little and fold well in with a rubber spatula.
6. Pour mixture into the baking tray and spread evenly; bake for about 20 minutes or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
7. Turn sponge onto a wire rack to cool.
8. Cut sponge into three even portions
9. Make buttercream frosting:
10.Spread thin layer of buttercream frosting on each slice of sponge
11. Dissolve 8 tsp clear jelly powder in 1/2 l water
12. Blend dissolved clear jelly with 1 jar blackcurrant jam
13. Pour blackcurrant jelly between layers of sponge, on the buttercream side (when is starting to thicken, otherwise, the sponge will absorb it).
14. I have used rectangle bread baking tray to layer sponge with jelly as it was easier to hold it in one place.